It's easy to automate your life today. Find the repetitive manual task involving fixed steps, then look for automation tools available in the market to solve this for you.
I am assuming here that you are already familiar with NoCode way of developing technology tools for your business or personal needs.
Here, I am going to demonstrate how to plan and execute end to end internal task automation using a combination of NoCode tools.
First, identify the ideal use case within your operation or personal life, which involves repetitive manual efforts, and the task usually performed with a certain level of standardization.
For instance, you have a stock investment portfolio and follow a personalized trading strategy for buying and selling.
And the critical element of this buy or sell call depends on individual stock stickers 252 days moving average price. You have this beautiful set up in Excel and periodically checking the internet and update this value to know the trigger.
But doing this involve manual effort and repetitive task of querying and updating the moving average price from the internet.
Let's see how we can automate this.
There are tools available in the financial world, and you can subscribe to one to manage this. But, that will cost you and for your best egg portfolio may be overkill.
Hence, you decide to self-fulfill this requirement in a crude way, using excel and grunt work.
But, with the NoCode suits of technology products, we can automate this with one time set up and do this more efficiently with just like opening any web application.
Identify the tools
You have data and know the structure of what makes up with the input field, and some are derived fields based on other inputs.
To represent this data schema and creating records means we need a database solution with the ability to accept inputs through an inbound API. And this tool should allow us to perform a certain level of data manipulation using mathematical formulas.
And, the second requirement is to automatically query a particular target website with input to fetch the moving average price. Then, send them back to that database as input feed to trigger a refresh of our investment record.
Looking at these general requirements, we have multiple tools available in the market that fit the bill.
Database - Airtable, Coda, Notion, Standard Library.
API Integration and workflow - Zapier, Intromet, Standard Library.
I have decided to go with Airtable and Standard Library. But, I could have completed the entire set up in Standard Library, noticed I had marked Standard Library in both tools. Instead, I opted to go with the split approach, just to demonstrate the integration involves more than one application.
Here is what I have done step by step
- I have created an account with both Airtable and Standard Library.
- I completed the set up required to establish my database and schema to support my stock investment.
- Then, added manual records and tested locally to see the formulas are working.
- Next, I have switched my focus to the Standard library and created workflow steps.
- Provided all the credentials and API URL necessary to communicate with Airtable.
- Tested bypassing some dummy value, and checked the impact with data records in the Airtable.
- Now, all is left is to automate this with outbound query API and connect it back reverse feed into Airtable.
- To complete this external query, I have identified sites that can give me moving average price via API and use their credentials in this workflow step configuration.
- With that, I can test the workflow end to end with the live test by running this workflow. And, validated data record impact.
- Now, I have to update this workflow to work with more than one record in the database. And have this workflow scheduled to execute on frequent intervals.
- I have chosen to run these four times a day. Starting from 9 am EST before the exchange close by 4 pm EST.
- From now on, all I have to do is check into my Airtable database UI. And see whether or not to take some trading decisions.
- I can further fancy this solution and trigger some automatic notification trigger that's for another day.
I hope you enjoy this tutorial and maybe use it for your own needs.